Sunday, September 8, 2013

Just the way you are









Last Saturday, I had the opportunity to attend a talk by one of the most inspiring speakers – Nick Vujicic. It was free of charge and it was held in City Harvest Church Kuala Lumpur. 
I reached church an hour and a half earlier hoping to grab a good seat, and… I thought I was early. Wayyyy beyond my expectation, the queue was awfully long. More than a thousand of people were queuing to enter the church hall. I queued and waited, so did the rest, hoping that the hall would be big enough to accommodate all of us.


The queue outside the church building.

Half an hour later, the crowd rushed towards the entrance all of a sudden, attempting to get through the security helpers to enter at least into the lobby, but to no avail. The church hall was full, even the lobby. (Are you kidding me!) People tried to push through the front entrances, yet failed. Thanks to some kind ushers who gave us a clue of sneaking through the back entrance, I managed to get into the lobby, and got a comfortable seat behind the projector screen. Halellujah!

The crowd in the hall.

The lobby


People tend to take things for granted. So do I. We always look into the things that we want instead of appreciating what we have. We envy someone for being wealthy, smart, beautiful, famous… and hope to be in their position. We are all beautiful creations of God, yet never satisfied with what we are blessed with.



"I don't have limbs, but I'm not sad, because I have hope. Those of us who believe in Jesus, have hope. To receive hope when you don't see it, you'll need faith. Have full assurance in the heart of FAITH!" – Nick Vujicic

Born without limbs, Nick is happy the way he is. He is grateful for what he has instead of grieving on his disability. He never gives up by keeping his faith in God and believing in hope. He believes that God had brought him into the world for a purpose – to serve God and inspire people.



Often when I browse through pictures of stunning hot, beautiful ladies on facebook and instagram, I would envy and start comparing them with myself. This happens to most of the ladies I suppose. “Why don’t I have such sharp features?” “Why am I not slim?” Why, why, why? And the if's would come along. I daydream of things that would possibly happen IF I had those good physical characteristics. We can’t deny that we tend to magnify our imperfections than appreciating what we have. Comparing among peers, trying to be someone we’re not. Instead of being jealous of others, why can’t we accept ourselves for who we are and be grateful for those special features that make us unique the way we are? If Nick had kept groaning about his physical appearance, he wouldn't be where he is today. It is not wrong to compare for self-improvement. But this has to stop if you are making yourself miserable.

Self-acceptance is important before expecting people to accept and see the natural beauty in you. My parents often tell me that I am beautiful. Friends have told me that I am beautiful. And I believe that. I might not have the beauty that I envy of, but I am beautiful and unique the way I am. So are you.

One of the quotes from Nick I love most that day, and a shoutout to everyone out there
“You are wonderfully and fearfully made. God loves YOU!”

Photo credits to #CHCKL

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Design by BlogSpotDesign | Ngetik Dot Com